I got a little board this summer, and decided to do a couple of projects. This is a simple project that I have been meaning to do for a couple of years now.
It is easy to do. All you need is a painting. I picked this one up at a thrift store. I wanted something to put in my bathroom. The bathroom is a beach theme. The colors in this picture worked great with this theme.
Pick a saying. I used Pinterest to pick my saying, but anything will work. “Roll with the Tide” is perfect for my bathroom.
Design & cut out the letters. I drew mine by hand, but you can use a printer. Just be sure they are big enough.
Glue the letters on the painting. Be sure and use a stencil glue. This way the letters are easy to peal off once it is painted.
Spray paint the picture. Choose a color that will work with the room and colors in the painting. I chose the color egg.
Peal off the letters. Be sure the picture is good and dry. I used tweezers to pill of the letters. They worked great.
Frame your work of art. My husband made the frame for me, and I painted it with an off white.
When we moved into the new house I knew that I had to redo the kitchen. It is an older trailer, and the kitchen still looks the same as when it was first built, but I was not sure what theme or colors I wanted. My daughter suggested a coffee theme, and I fell in love with the idea. I love coffee, and tend to collect coffee cups, so it was perfect for me. I have always wanted a coffee themed kitchen, and the designs work with the new house. Where it did not work at the last couple of homes.
My collection of coffee cups would not all fit in the cupboard, and it is hard to display them behind closed doors. There is also a perfect spot by the sink to place a cup holder, so I decided to make my own.
My father-in-law gave us an old fence, and one look at told me it was perfect for my project.
I took the fence apart, and cut the boards to the length I needed. I sanded them, and then started painting.
I put 3 coats of paint on them. The first coat was a chocolate brown. I made sure that this covered all of the wood. The second was a cream. This coat was put on lighter so some of the brown showed through, but not much. The last coat was a light brown. This coat was dry brushed on so you could see some of the paint layers that were under it. Then the whole thing was sanded, and screwed together.
Next, I drew out the design I wanted on a piece of paper before I tried to put it on the final product. This helped me to practice, and get the idea just right before it was permanent. I used the chocolate brown and avocado green. for the design.
Then the cup hooks were added, I put the cup hooks 6 inches apart, and staggered them on each board. This made it so that the cups could hang without hitting each other. To figure out the exact proportions I put on a hook, and then hung a cup on it. This way I could see how it would look, and where I wanted the next cup. To mount the final product on the wall I used picture hangers. I put one on each side. This gave it a little more stability. Then the cups were added.
A tip on the paint; I chose the colors that I wanted, and then checked out the paint that people had returned. I was able to find all of the colors that I wanted at 50% off this way.